Monday, July 19, 2010

Get Up Close With Brett Reichman at the Sonoma Valley Museum of Art

Simulated Masturbation


The current exhibit "Silence, Exile and Cunning" ends July 25th at the Sonoma Valley Museum of Art. It is worth the visit to see the two works that most impressed me. They were both by Brett Reichman and the technique shows outstanding mastery of his medium - watercolor and gouache. Getting up close to the pieces I was floored by his skills even if I wasn't crazy about the subject matter. Both were masturbation themed compositions with intestinal, sack-like props. They made me laugh with their overstated extensions. Brett's colors were beautiful, as was the cross hatch-like shading and his anatomical studies were unparalleled. The hands alone were breathtaking in their rendering. 
These two pieces really should be seen in person, up close and personal, even if it is just to study his style and ability.

Joshua and the Swan

2 comments:

  1. I love Brett Reichman's work--and he's a fabulous teacher, too. Awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His drawings are amazing in person. Their fabulousness doesn't come across over the net esp. if the images are small (thanks for posting these larger images). Someone told me that her drawings improved 200% after taking his class. So I took his class and they did.

    ReplyDelete